Saturday, March 12, 2011

Just a Thought...

Yesterday in my Family Finance class before my teacher started the lecture, he shared a thought with us that really struck me, so I thought I would write about it on the blog so that I can remember it.  :)  Obviously, I won't be stating anything quite as elegantly as he did, but I will do my best.  He started off by telling us which general  authority's talk he had read that particular morning on the subject, but I missed which general authority it was and what the talk was called, because usually during his 10 minute spiritual thought I half listen/ half do my hw that is due at the end of class so at that point, I wasn't giving my full attention :P.  But after a couple minutes, I started to really listen and was touched by what he was saying, and knew  it was something I needed to hear at the moment.  He  was talking about how in life, it is easy to see the bad things rather than the good, especially in the people with who we associate.  It is easy to see the flaws in people, or to get stuck on the quirks they have that totally just rub you the wrong way.  This is true with people you work with, friends, siblings, parents, co-workers, spouses, EVERYONE!  My teacher went on to say that if his wife were to focus on all of his flaws, and shortcomings, rather than his good qualities, she would be one frustrated wife.  That when you focus on one flaw suddenly you find 100 more and all you are noticing are the things that drive you crazy.  But likewise, when you concentrate on a good quality in someone else, it is more easy to see the other good qualities that they have until the good blots out the bad.  I guess it just totally hit home for me because I realized that Ki and I had been allowing ourselves to only focus on the things that were bugging us about this particular person in our life instead of focusing on all the things he/she did that were good/virtuous/praiseworthy.  I realized how true what my teacher was saying really was.  That once you focus on one thing that bugs you about another person, suddenly everything they are doing is just downright driving you nuts!  So right then and there I decided I am going to try to focus on the positive in the people around me, in the good of my life, instead of focusing on the things other people do that drive me crazy :) 

This post might make me look like I'm a terrible person who judges other people, and I hope I didn't lower anyone's view of me as a person because I don't consider myself to be either a terrible person OR one that is constantly judging others.  But every once in awhile, I am prone to being annoyed at someone else because of something that they've done that just bugs me.  But I know its wrong to do so because I have a million flaws and shortcomings of my own, so I am going to try to see the good!  I am going to try to be better at ignoring the things that annoy me, and searching for the good in everyone, and I am going to try to work on my own shortcomings instead of looking at others'.

This is all, I just loved his thought, and realized it to be something that I could definately apply to my life.  Please don't think I am a terrible person :)  I am definately far from a perfect person, but not a terrible person I hope!

Also, on an unrelated note, do you like the new & improved blog background/colors?  I decided my old background was SUPER girly... and since Ki is technically an author on this blog (even though he hasn't updated it since like 2 years ago) I should maybe do a less gender specific background.  This one is still girly... but at least it isn't pink with hearts and birds right?  Hope you all are having a fabulous Saturday!

3 comments:

Libby And Brock said...

After I got married I was really good at finding some flaws in my mother in law and other people... and finally I decided either I can look for good and find it or I can look for bad and find either way I can't expect anyone to change all that much and so it's easier to look for the good and be happy, than find the bad and be negative! LEARN this when you are young, and you will be a much happier person! p.s. I like the new background I change mine all the time because I get bored!!

Katelynn said...

Um...I agree with this, and I didn't even think you were a bad person. I learned this same principle recently and I have been so much happier when looking for the good in people! It took a burden off my shoulders to only focus on what is good rather than what bugs me. How tedious life is when you are constantly wishing people would change but you have no way to make them. It's stressful. :) Now hopefully you don't think I'm a terrible person.

Ashley said...

Kates! I could never think you are a terrible person :) I think you are like the sweetest person in the whole world. You wouldn't wish bad things on a fly! ... ok well maybe a pesky fly, but you know what I mean. I am just glad that I am not the only one who had to learn this lesson :)

Libby - To true :) glad I figured it out sooner rather than later. And I am glad you like the blog layout changes!