Sunday, December 4, 2011

Weekend Stress Assignment

How I have felt this past week :)

For my MCOM 320 class, we were assigned to find someone more stressed then ourselves and do something nice for them this weekend.  My first instinct was to think that nobody could possibly be as stressed as I felt at the moment we were given this assignment (self-centered?  yeah.  I will have to repent for that thought)    On deeper thought, I realized that every college student goes through the same slew of stressful projects, papers, and finals, all mixed in with church and work responsibilities - which immediately brought on a feeling of guilt.  Then I thought about how stressful it would be to be a provider for a family and lose your job, or to have medical expenses you couldn't afford etc and I felt ashamed for feeling bad for myself.  One day I will be a more perfect person.  But for now I will just do my best and every now and then be pushed again in the right direction with assignments like these, and touching church lessons. :)

For this assignment I thought of two easy targets.  I currently have a brother and a sister enduring the last couple weeks of school, and figured one of them HAD to be more stressed then me.  Then when I told my mom about the assignment, she showed me a text she had received from my sister a few days previous about her terrible day, and I knew my sister was a deserving candidate.

There are few things better then a back massage when you are feeling tense so I decided that would be my gift to the chosen stressed soul.  Since my sister Kristin was coming to my parents for dinner I figured I would take the time to do it after dinner and games.  It made me feel nice to forget about how I felt and remember to think of others, and to give my sister a back massage.  It is silly that I needed reminding, but I am grateful for the reminder nonetheless.  Thanks, MCOM.  Although I will forever loathe you for constantly stretching me to do things I feel uncomfortable with, I will be the first to admit you've been good for me in a lot of ways.  I won't get a good grade in the class, but I still feel like I've learned a thing or two.  Which I suppose is the whole point of being a student.