Sunday, September 25, 2011

Bulgaria - continued

Is it Sunday already?  This week seriously flew by!  The good news is that I started my internship at Curves and I am loving it.  This is good news because I can now officially graduate, I know you are all relieved as much as I am about that :)  Curves is a gym for women that has a great 30-min training circuit that helps build strength while still giving an aerobic workout as well.  I will be the first to admit I was skeptical because I always viewed Curves as an "old lady gym" but it really has been a fun experience so far.  I first tried to get an internship at 24 hr Fitness because I really love that gym, but they don't take interns... bummer.  So Curves it is!  The only downside is that on the days that I have to open at 5:30 a.m. I am waking up at 4:20 a.m..  Yikes!  I didn't even know a 4:00 a.m. existed.  Anyways back to blogging about Bulgaria :)

The second day in Bulgaria, we woke up in Sofia showered and got all ready for our long day then headed to the bus station where we were catching a bus to Plovdiv.  Of course before we checked out of our hostel, Ki ran across the street to a little bakery and got some bonitsa, a cheese pastry, for breakfast.

Me eating my Bonitsa - a cheese pastry
As soon as we arrived in Plovdiv by bus, we walked all the way to Plovdiv's main city center with our backpacks on!  I thought my back was going to break, and was infinitely grateful for the first of many times throughout our trip that I had packed really light.

This is me in Plovdiv's city center after we checked into our hostel and gladly ditched our bags for the rest of the day :)
 We walked up and down the main street and I enjoyed looking at all the cute little shops.  I desperately wanted to buy some cute new clothes, but as soon as Ki reminded me I would have to carry it the rest of the trip, I decided it wasn't in my best interest to upgrade my wardrobe at that particular time.  I'm sure this made Ki take a big sigh of relief ;)

Ki and I in the restaurant where we ate lunch in Plovdiv's city center.  The food was delicious!  My only complaint is that smoking was allowed indoors!  yuck.
After replenishing our energy stores during lunch, we walked from the main city center to what is known as Old Town.  It was such a cute place with so many colorful old buildings.  It is known for its Bulgarian Renaissance Architectural style and still has cobble stone roads.  
Ki posing in Old Town.

A garden in Old Town

 It is amazing to me how old some of the structures Ki and I saw on our trip were.  I know they have obviously been restored but the fact that they are still there is so cool.  The picture below is of the Roman Theater in Old town that was built in the beginning of the 2nd century during the reign of Roman Emperor Trajan.
Ki and I in front of the Roman Theater. 

 After we walked through Old Town we headed back to the main city center where we changed and put on some church clothes to get ready for the fireside!  We walked to Plovdiv's church where all the Bulgarian missionaries were having a fireside to kick off the big 20 year reunion of the church conference which was going to be the next day.  It was fun to hear the missionaries bear their testimonies and really feel the spirit of missionary work!  It was a really neat experience.

That just about concludes day two in Bulgaria!  And for the record -- my legs were KILLING me by the end of the second day.  I had never done so much walking in all my life :)  Ki was better prepared then I was thanks to summer sales and wasn't sore at all.  It was at the end of this day that I was glad I had decided to pack functional shoes instead of cute shoes!

Kudos to you if you are still reading!  I was hoping to finish writing about days 3-5 in BG as well, but I sorta have an 11:45 deadline folks haha.  Yep remember how I have to blog once a week for my MCOM 320 class?  Don't you love that I leave it to the very last day and submit my blog ten minutes before it is due?  I guess I just never learn.


1 comment:

Kennedy Klan said...

Love your Blog Ash!! Its fun to keep tabs on you and Ki. I enjoy it and you do a good job on it :)
Love ,
Ann